… An old acquaintance in Illinois, having organized a bank under the new National Bank Act, wrote offering some of the stock to Lincoln, who replied with thanks, saying he recognized that stock in a good national bank would be a good thing to hold, but he did not feel that he, as President, ought to profit from a law which had been passed under his administration. “He seemed to wish to avoid even the appearance of evil,” said the banker.
Abrahm Lincoln – The War Years, 1861-1864
- Abe Lincoln Presidential Library & Museum (socyberty.com)
- Abraham Lincoln’s Cabinet (egrejeen.wordpress.com)
- Researchers: Donner Party member carried Lincoln documents on journey (cnn.com)
- President Abraham Lincoln Entered Office As A Strapping Man (lukeford.net)
- Abraham Lincoln: Wrestler and Lawyer (neatorama.com)
You must be logged in to post a comment.